Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Day 31 - Bennington, VT to Gardner, MA, 98 miles, 6000' cumulative climbing

This morning featured our last big climb of the tour, early in the day the way I like it. For 4 miles we pedaled up an average 7-8% grade, after having tuned up on a more moderate 2-3% rise for the first few miles of the day.  At this point I was really looking forward to the climb.  After the Big Horns mountain crossing all the way back on Day 12, there just isn't a mountain that intimidates many of us any more!  
We left Vermont early in the morning, only about 12 miles into the ride.  Thus I was able to check off Massachusetts as my cycling State #37.  (Michelle I've got you by one now!) So the big climb was in Massachusetts and it was technically in the Berkshires, sort of a geographic sub-sector of the Green Mountains.  I've lost track of all the names of the ranges we have crossed so will have to research that for another entry.

Perhaps due to the evolving mental outlook (we're almost there!) I'm feeling at this stage of our journey I thoroughly enjoyed every inch of this particular mountain crossing.  Don't get me wrong; I love the climbing sections of most rides, but sometimes they can be a grind that you just want to get through.  Not today.  It was breathtaking scenery, a cool and slightly overcast morning, perfect climbing weather.  Seeing the views from the top and having a marvelous descent down the other side were big bonuses.  The rest stop and lunch crews are feeling the anticipation of the end drawing near too, and are even more cheerful and encouraging than before, which is really saying something!  They've all been terrific since Day 1.  Without the solid and consistent crew support we could never have had such a smooth continental crossing. 
After lunch we did have a long section of road that was not as much fun.  It was a more limited-access, high traffic state road that was a little stressful to ride, with a problematic shoulder and lots of traffic noise, as well as slightly uphill all the way. Apparently our folks were unaware that there was a "No Bicycles" sign posted on this road, and several other riders were warned by the police to exit onto other routes.  But we all made it without any real trouble.  Michelle and I rode this whole piece of road together with no incidents and it was very pleasant having her for company.

One of the things I have not talked about, and hardly even mentioned until now, is the topic of flat tires.  It's bad luck to mention it out loud!  And I've gotten 3500 miles with NO FLAT TIRES.  Until the end of today, that is.  When we pulled into the hotel parking lot in Gardner I felt the air seeping out of my front tire.  Shucks!  I was entertaining thoughts of getting through tomorrow without every having to change a tire, something very few of us could say.  But, at least it was in the parking lot where I had space and tools to work with.  Then, much later in the evening it occurred to me to check both tires more closely for other glass and debris just to be safe.  I discovered that my rear tire was completely out of tread.  I had inspected it a week or ten days ago and it looked OK.  Even the treadwear indicators marks were totally worn away, and some of the inner cords were showing.  That's what 3500 tough miles will do to a tire.  So I'll change it in the morning and install the spare that I brought for this very purpose.
Dinner in the hotel restaurant was a very pleasant, friendly affair with Elizabeth, Mark and two Sacramento riders I've gotten to know during the trip, Drew and Ken.  Just the right finishing touch to the penultimate riding day.  
Now just one day remains.  We all want it to be a safe, uneventful finish to the shore.

Low level clouds floating in a Vermont valley
A cyclist's favorite road sign - downhill ahead!




Oh yeah!

'Nuf said


A 65 mile view from the top


No comments:

Post a Comment