Sunday, August 14, 2016

Day 29 - Geneva NY to Little Falls NY, 132 miles, 8700' cumulative climbing

Lots of long steep climbs

 Today's ride included the most intense climbing sections since we were in Wyoming in the Big Horns.  About 10 major climbs of a mile or more, each with grades of 7-10% and an average elevation gain of 500' makes for a hard day in the saddle.  I've actually looked forward to this day, both for the challenge of the route and because I have never really seen upstate New York and the Adirondack Mountains. The beauty of the area is stunning, with mountains, creeks, forest, farmland, and all of it so green. 
My legs felt good today for the third day in a row.  All morning I climbed well, which is not always the case.  Often I lag behind our little group on the steeper grades and then catch them on the downhill side, but today I was holding my own.  At least until lunch at about mile 85.  Then my legs decided they had endured enough punishment, and I reverted to my normal grinding style to get up the remaining hills.  Man, does that burn the energy!  You have to make sure to consume more calories at rest stops when you're climbing so many "quadburner" hills.
I did hit a new high speed for the trip on one of the morning downhill runs: 48.5 mph.  The elusive 50 mph may just not happen on this trip.  No matter.  It's exhilarating at any speed.
We had a couple of rainy periods today but no serious downpours like yesterday.  Tailwind is still our friend too!
Now just 3 days are left.  It's hard to believe, after more than 4 weeks, that this journey is reaching its conclusion.  More about this on another post.
j
Long distance views from the top of climbs

No comments:

Post a Comment