Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Day 24 - Ludington MI to Midland MI, 136 miles, 3000' cumulative climbing

 Why didn't my legs respond with more oomph today after a 24 hour break?  Seemed like I was more tired while riding today than yesterday while sitting on the ferry.  Maybe this is some of the accumulated fatigue I keep talking about.  I now know for sure that I've gotten to be a stronger rider through this trial by fire expedition, but with that has come a level of fatigue that one day off won't fix.  Not a big deal, as the good news is my stubbornness keeps my legs pedaling even when they don't want to!

The other good news is that today's route, and the next couple of days to follow, are all pretty flat terrain, and the hills are what wears me down first. 

So today's route was a nice look at western Michigan, and a big contrast with the Wisconsin we just passed through.  Different soils, trees, grasses in the two states, both beautiful in different ways, but the separation of the huge lake and resulting change in weather patterns makes for an interesting change of scenery.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching the landscape today.  Conversation in our little riding group was muted; I think everyone else is just as fatigued as I am.  
Muted until mile 70 that is.  I've heard others experience moments like this but it was a first for me.  A driver inexplicably lost his temper because he thought we four bikers were impeding his use of the road.  When he swerved into us to try and force us off the road, grazing one of my riding partners, it briefly threatened to get ugly.  But after a short verbal altercation when he stopped, we took his license number and he drove off.  No injuries but a scary couple of minutes. Our only practical recourse is to report him and hope the county he lives in keeps a record of his aggressive driving in case he does something like that again.  And it's an important reminder that we are vulnerable and must pay attention all the time. Fortunately this instance ended with no real harm done.
 Tonight we're in a nice Holiday Inn, definitely an above average franchise.  Very comfortable which is just what I was thinking would be nice!  The show goes on......

No comments:

Post a Comment